The Mental Illness Awareness Week blog, sharing stories of recovery, personal experiences, and mental health/mental illness news.

9/30/09

Faces of Mental Illness
Beth Lyster

Beth was one of the 54 people nominated to become a national Face of Mental Illness as part of MIAW.


She writes:

Since January 2006 I have been employed as a Mental Health promoter with CMHA-WECB. It is only since working at CMHA that I have aggressively begun to seek out adequate treatment and diagnosis of my nearly lifelong emotional and psychological distresses.

Now, finally, 30 years after first experiencing hallmark symptoms, I am about to begin treatment for the first time for what is a most likely diagnosis: hypomanic bipolar disorder. Illness and identity are complicated issues. Being properly diagnosed has been both a relief and a challenge – a challenge to integrate the information inherent in this label without being limited by it.

Alan Cohen warns, “Take care what words you speak that follow “I am”. In so speaking, you create your life.” I am not my mental illness. But I must not neglect it either - I must claim it to become healthier.

Educating the public about mental health and mental illness is something I am compelled to do: for those who love someone who is ill, for those who are beginning to notice symptoms; and, certainly for others who are living successfully in recovery. But, most of all I speak aloud for those who struggle to get through each day, hoping that no one notices how very hard won that success may be, who may have lived a lifetime in secret pain. Because of the stigma.

A big part of recovery is challenging stigma: shedding the shame which acts as tacit acceptance of the negative impression and prejudices of others. It’s time to find the stigma surrounding mental illnesses unacceptable.


Beth A. Lyster
Mental Health Promoter, CMHA Windsor-Essex County Branch
Windsor, Ontario

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bethie- I think that this is awesome for you and I support cha 100000%! So very proud of you my friend..You go girl!

    Love ya-Stephie Hill-
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for sharing your courage with others, Laura Liebrock

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what we need and this initiative brings a voice to the unheard. The stigma is so powerful, but the survivors are even MORE powerful. If people could empathize better, there would be so much more understanding and awareness. A question I ask myself would I rather losing my physical health or lose control of my thoughts and emotions?

    ReplyDelete