The Mental Illness Awareness Week blog, sharing stories of recovery, personal experiences, and mental health/mental illness news.

8/31/10

Down days




When I last wrote, I had joined the gym. I've been going about four to five times per week over the past five weeks. I've been feeling much better with much more energy and have generally been excited about life without any signs of hypo-mania.

But for the last couple of days, I have been depressed. Not Edgar Allen Poe depressed - more like Eeyore depressed.

I know why that happened. I skipped a few workouts last week, and was late to get into my routine this week. I certainly realize how important getting regular exercise is to my body and my mind... and even though - I still missed a few workouts. However, I'm not going to be too hard on myself because I'll get back on schedule and things will smooth out once again.

I was back it this morning - and my workout sure was gruelling!!! I did it though. And I'm very happy I got myself through it. In the beginning of my workout, all that really kept me going was how I was going to feel after - an improved mood which would last throughout the day!

And yes, I do feel much better. I'm feeling somewhere in between Eeyore and Tigger....


--
Sincerely,
Jennifer Ashawasegai

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jennifer,

    You should be commended for such a hard work ethic towards physical health and how it corresponds to mental health.

    In my experience, I used to try a work out every second day. For me, I could only do it for a month or so, and then it was too much and I lost interest.

    By comparison, I have a friend and colleague at work who works out at the gym running twice per week (Wednesday and Friday). He does his in the morning before work and then he treats himself to a big lunchroom breakfast!

    I think what you could do to minimize depression amid your expectations is to ask if your work out schedule is balanced with the rest of your life. You might find that working out a bit less might make you feel better than working out more since with as busy as our lives get, often we have to re-distribute ourselves amongst our many varied tasks.

    But, you have served as motivation for me to get more physically active again beyond my short lunch walks. Step by step...

    Respects,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point about balance, David.

    Thanks for your post, Jennifer. It's an excellent reminder to all about the importance of exercise for our overall well-being, physical and mental.

    ReplyDelete